Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Summer We Read Gatsby: A Novel by Danielle Ganek

The Summer We Read Gatsby: A NovelThe Summer We Read Gatsby: A Novel by Danielle Ganek

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was such a pleasant surprise. One I literally just pulled off the shelf at the library and thought I would give it a whirl. How can a book with Gatsby in the title be bad? Four stars may be generous, but I had low expectations so 4 it is. What I liked about this book:

1. Quirky but not too quirky. Funny characters - especially Peck who I thought would be so annoying but became endearing.

2. Character growth. Huge character growth. This is big for me - I need characters that change and become better.

3. The author not afraid of a happy ending. If you are going to wrap it up nicely, you might as well put a bow on it!

4. No racy sex scenes and no raunchy parts.

5. Really funny epilogue.

Didn't like: occasional strong language (Peck!) and brief casual drug use.

No comments:

Goodreads Account

Widget_logo