Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

RevolutionRevolution by Jennifer Donnelly

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I suspect that if I read this instead of listened to it, I may not have enjoyed it as much as I did. Which is why I must begin by saying I LOVED the reader, Emily Janice Card*. She was amazing. I usually dislike women readers (I'm sexist like that) but I thought Ms. Card did a spectacular job.

The story itself is quite ambitious: Modern-day Andi is a mess: grieving over the death of her brother and emotionally abandoned by both parents. Eighteenth century Alex is trying to survive French Revolution. Their stories combine through some rather convenient plot devices. This book involves family issues, recovering from heart break, depression, abandonment, prep school pressures, drug use of rich teenagers, historical guitar theory, modern day music, class struggles, ambition, greed, political upheaval, horrors of war, and possible time travel to name just a few. At 500 pages (or 12 cds if you are me) the story goes on and on. But if you like the reader, it can be quite a journey.

P.S. Even though this is a young adult novel, there was some strong language.

*I looked it up: Emily Card is Orson Scott Card's daughter, just in case you were wondering.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Goodreads Account

Widget_logo