Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Some Books I've Read Lately

The Last Little Blue Envelope (Little Blue Envelope, #2)The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Someone recently pointed out that I have entirely too many 3 star reads. What can I say? I read a lot of mediocre books.

This was the never-intended-to-be written sequel to 13 Little Blue Envelopes (not to be confused with 13 Reasons Why. Whats up with 13 in YA titles?) I enjoyed this sequel much more than I thought I would, which is not saying much because I had fairly low expectations. On the top of my list of things I liked was Keith's downgrade from boyfriend to friend in this book. I personally never had much use for the Keith character in the first book. As for negatives, I thought the 20 page last letter was a stretch especially for free spirit Aunt Meg. Overall, it was just okay.

All Other NightsAll Other Nights by Dara Horn

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Keeping in mind my recent liberally use of 3 stars, I decided to give this book 4 stars for originality of plot: Jewish spy in the Civil War. It definitely gave an interesting perspective, quite varied from any other book I've read on the Civil War. (disclosure: I haven't read many books on the Civil War.) The writing was good. The plot was all over the place, but kind of in a good way. Lots of action over the course of the novel. My biggest complaint was I felt like the author was at times a bit heavy handed and manipulative (for example slave auction.) I liked the spunky Jeannie and the inclusion of real life Judah Benjamin.

Uncommon Criminals (Heist Society, #2)Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I understand some have been disappointed with this sequel but I really liked it. I liked the reuniting of Kat's Henley gang. I like that they are kids and don't act like adults. I liked the message of the book (and Maggie acting as a foil as Kat has to decide her personal philosophy.) I liked the twists and turns of the heists. And the humor. But most of all, I love Hale and Marcus.

But could we PLEASE have some thing a bit more from Hale and Kat in the third? That would be great. The whole are-they-aren't-they is getting OLD. Bring on book three!

The Levee: A Novel of Baton RougeThe Levee: A Novel of Baton Rouge by Malcolm Shuman

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This book was crass and full of language (the narrator was a 16 year old boy. No offense to 16 year old boys.) It was short, so I waded through to get to the hyped resolution of the mystery at the end. Not worth it, for my tastes.

(You know it's bad when I was embarrassed that the person sitting next to me on the plane would read over my shoulder and think "What kind of garbage is she reading?")

View all my reviews

No comments:

Goodreads Account

Widget_logo